Pages

Monday, May 9, 2011

Day 7: Switzerland - Geneva

While people are busy summing up their thoughts on GE2011, I am trying to trace back my long over post on the Europe trip.

For the past 2 weeks, I have been busy reading up forums, watching videos, even when I was in Shanghai, I never stop short of watching the news so as to keep myself in tune with the hot discussion topics and eventually make my informed vote, rather than an influential one.

Ironically, the place that I'm about to mention is Geneva - one of the highest standard of living city, a worldwide centre for diplomacy and home to the reformation protestants.

Before we left for Geneva, we stop-over to take a photo at the Lion Monument. It is built to commemorate the Swiss Guards who were massacred in 1792 during the French Revolution, when revolutionaries stormed the Tuileries Palace in Paris, France.

If you look at the outer edge of the sculpture, you can see that the lion is lying within a pig. It is said that the sculptor was denied of being paid. But out of respect for the soldiers who sacrificed their lives, he maintained the lion sculpture but made the outer edge look like a pig to express his frustration. I would have done the same too if I was treated like free labour.











Funny looking trees outside the UN building


Interesting advertising attempt by a furniture company to get consumer's attention

The infamour flower-clock. Perhaps it's me and my knees don't go weak on flowers. I almost missed out on this so-called 'sight attraction' as it didn't occur as spectacular as it should be.





And that very much sums up Geneva. Bye bye Rolex, bye bye Patek. I hope to see you again soon. But next I need to meet up with Chanel and Prada in Paris.

0 comments: